The new 100 percent recycled carrier bags, which use a proportion of waste from Tesco's own in-store processes
Supermarket giant, Tesco, is offering single-use carrier bags produced using 100 percent recycled plastic, a proportion of which is from its own in-store waste.
The chain is collaborating with Eurokey Recycling Ltd. and Papier-Mettler to produce the carrier bags, which are made from 100 percent recycled LPDE.
The bags are made using 80 percent post-consumer plastic waste, with the remaining 20 percent being made up of recycled plastic waste from the production process onsite, such as pallet and multi-pack wrapping.
“We are extremely proud to work with these suppliers to turn plastics from our business-generated waste into our single use carrier bags. We believe that recycling materials back into products makes sense for the industry and the environment,” commented Robin Hughes, Procurement Manager at Tesco.
The material is collected by Eurokey, which sorts the plastics at its facility in Eastern Europe to prepare the LDPE for reprocessing. John Dhillon, Managing Director at Eurokey Recycling said the company is “very pleased to be part of a sustainable and ethical plastic recycling solution in line with the Tesco Corporate Social Responsibility ideals.”
The plastics are processed and granulated at the Papier-Mettler facility in Morbach, Germany. Here, the granulated recycled LDPE is used to produce Tesco single use carrier bags as well as a part element of the supermarket’s ‘Bag for Life’.
Bill Aldridge, UK Sales Manager of Papier Mettler, said: “We are delighted to be working with Tesco to achieve optimal solutions regarding green packaging. As a result, Tesco not only offers carrier bags made of post-consumer recycled material, they have now gone one step further. By closing the material loop, Tesco carrier bags are now produced using their own plastic waste. An ideal situation for Tesco, Tesco`s customers and the environment."
The development of this closed loop operation, to the benefit of all companies involved, has been made possible through “partnership and hard work,” according to Stuart Foster, CEO of Recycling Association, RECOUP, of which both Tesco and Eurokey are members.
Commenting, Foster endorsed the initiative and commented that “it is a perfect example of how joined up actions between the supply and recycling chain can deliver efficient recycling of plastic resources in a transparent way. A true plastics recycling success story and an example for others to follow”.
The project, which has been running successfully for some months, looks set to continue as a long-term viable solution.
Marcus Gover, Director, WRAP, concluded by saying: “Tesco’s move to include post-consumer plastic waste in their new carrier bags is a positive and welcome step. Tesco shoppers will now be able to appreciate first-hand the potential for recycled plastic and it will help reinforce a positive recycling message.”